Cambridge African Network – Black History Month Cultural Event.
Details:Name Cambridge African Network Phone +44 7979500194 Email email@example.com
Date: Saturday 20th October 2018
Venue: Storey’s Field Centre, Eddington Avenue, Cambridge CB3 1AA, www.storeysfieldcentre.org.uk
This is a two part family event
Daytime event – 12PM – 4PM, FREE
Arts & Craft Fair, Workshops,- The main activities are;
- Mask making – looking at different African mask designs from a variety of African countries. Then participants will think about the things that they enjoy in their life, the activities they do, choose the shape of mask they want and make one for themselves.
- Jewellery – African jewellery is worn at different events, depending the events the design and colours change.People may look at the pictures and choose the beads they would like to use for their necklace or bracelet.
- Material – Here we can see the types of clothes & headwear, along with tableware What is worn on the head is also very important and you have the chance try to create your own headband using some authentic African material.
- If you decide to join us at the evening Gala event you can fashion some of your ideas for others to see.
- Afro fitness dance – This is controlled movement to African music, getting your body to move in a number of different ways, exercising a number of different muscle groups, and making the fitness session fun.
- Folktales and drama – In these sessions’ traditional African folktales are told and discussed and people are encouraged to join in acting out the stories, to put their own stamp on the tales.
Kettles Yard , Cambridge are working with and inviting two artists Rachel McGivern and Josh Bilton.
- Rachel McGivern is making a wall hanging, which is to be displayed during the evening event. People are encouraged to join in and help with this.
- Josh Bilton is looking to get people to work on a 3D project, looking at objects and masks that have stories behind them.
- Badge making – Here people are shown how to carry this and make something that they can wear.
- Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology are donating some objects for people to look at and pass around to see what they feel like and how heavy they are.
Gala evening event – 6PM – 11:30PM : Tickets
Guest & Speakers – We have the pleasure of the Company of the Mayor of Cambridge.
- Dinner – A spread of Traditional African Food, including vegetarian options.
- Cultural performances
- DJ Music, Dance
There will be entertainment for the children in their own hall to keep them happy while mums & dads can relax and have a good time.
For more information email or Call 07979 500194
Adults (16 & over): £12
Children (6-15yrs): £6
Children (under 5yrs): Free
Buy tickets via eventbrite or contact us directly.